Tuesday, November 28, 2006

"Fluff "flies

On the anniversary of my Mum's death..legendary DJ , Alan "Fluff " Freeman http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6187762.stm has died. I remember listening to him from the early 70's..and his Saturday afternoon programme , that always started with "Welcome back my friends " by ELP , was a must for us youthfull "proggers " getting us all excited and ready for a night of dancing and "freaking out " at "Waves " , UMIST and the Poly to 30minute tracks and concept albums..never singles ..galore.. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2475357,00.html The speed that he ran throught the charts on the "hung-over " Sundays was amazing..and never beaten.. When punk happend "Fluff " was in his 50's and his championing of "New Wave Of British Heavy Metal " alienated him from me.. I lost interest.. However I always hold him highly for going against the grain and playing "my " bands constantly in the glourious, technicolour , relatively innocent [ pre -AIDS and 9/11] and non -commercial 70s.. Thanks Fluff for flying the Prog banner.. I have one personal story about him..when me and my partner saw The Who in 76, http://www.thewholive.de/details/index.php?id=266&Tracklisting=&GroupID=1&Tag=&Monat=&Jahr=1976&Stadt=&Halle=&LandID=0 [the concert that had the last English performances from the original line ups of Alex Harvey , Little Feat , AC/DC and The Who ..macarbe..] there was a tube strike so we had to walk from Charlton FC to Euston..a long way ,believe me , on the way we "bumped " into "Fluff" and he was very keen on inviting us back to his flat to listen to some groovy sounds... "Not arf "....!!

No comments: